The Te Mana Raraunga Charter outlines the key ideals that underpin our advocacy and capacity building initiatives.
- Data is a living tāonga and is of strategic value to Māori.
- Māori data refers to data produced by Māori or that is about Māori and the environments we have relationships with.
- Māori data is subject to the rights articulated in the Treaty of Waitangi and the UN’s Declaration on the rights of Indigenous Peoples, to which Aotearoa New Zealand is a signatory.
The Charter sets out:
- Our purpose
- Tikanga / guiding principles,
- Mana-Mahi (Governance-Operations) Framework
- Membership of Te Mana Raraunga
Adopt the Charter
Your can formally adopt the charter and become a Māori Data Sovereignty organisation. As a Māori Data Sovereignty organisation you agree to abide by the principles of the Te Mana Raraunga charter and expect all organisations you share data with to act in accordance with these principles too.
We have developed a Māori Data Audit Tool (Word 152KB) to help you assess the organisational readiness your own entity and other organisations.
Tell us how your organisation has formally adopted the Charter and we'll add your logo to the 'Our Supporters' page on this website.